Councillor Anderson and I submitted a formal Administrative Inquiry this morning on the issues affecting the future of the pool as well as the proper process for dealing with a decision of this nature. We should receive it back to Council’s Community Services Committee in a few weeks.
The text is as follows:
Inquiry: Future of Scona Pool
1. Please provide a written report detailing the business case behind the recommendation to cease operation of Scona Pool. In doing so please confirm:
- How the $80,000 in savings for 2009 closure was determined;
- Attendance trends and comparatives with other Southside pools;
- The gross and net financial projections for 2010 with continued operation;
- Whether the pool owned by EPSB, and if so what are the details of the city’s lease or operating agreement?
2. If the pool is in fact EPSB owned, could the facility be leased and operated independent of the City of Edmonton?
3. Under what financial or operating scenarios might the city’s continued participation be justified?
4. Would the normal process for proposing closure of a city pool involve providing the answers to these kinds of questions in a report to Community Services Committee, and seeking permission to proceed on that basis?
5. If the best course of action is indeed to cease operations, please explain what steps will be taken to accommodate the user groups. Please identify these groups and what consultation has occurred with them and would occur as part of the relocation efforts.